MY VOICE MY CHOICE: Giving Disabled People in Weston Super Mare A Voice
Lora Tanner updates us on the progress of the My Voice, My Choice project, supported by the Big Lottery and Leonard Cheshire Homes:
We held our first workshop in Weston-super-Mare on Volunteering Education and Employment on 26th September. It was an incredible day filled with lots of open discussion. We were delighted that Maria Flinders, Voluntary Services Manager from Weston Hospital was able to join us and support the workshop. It was great to have such engagement and enthusiasm from the group, we hope that people enjoyed the workshop as their valuable contributions will be heard and will feed directly into the final showcase event on 23rd January.We worked really hard to ensure the session was accessible for everyone to enjoy.
Our next workshop was on 31st October; Transport, Access and Safety. We had representation from GWR, First Bus, Community Transport, Western Wheels and also the Police and it was a really great session. Contact lora.tanner@leonardcheshire to know more or book places on the December wworkshop, or telephone 01288 359 813.
My Voice, My Choice
• My Voice, My Choice has been funded by the Big Lottery Fund.
• My Voice, My Choice is being organised by Leonard Cheshire, a registered charity providing services for disabled people.
• The aim of the My Voice, My Choice project is to allow disabled people to speak up about the accessibility of community services in the Weston-super-Mare Area and have their voices heard.
3 workshops will take place between September and December 2018 that will allow disabled adults to share stories, meet new people, provide ideas and suggest new ways of accessing the community.
People who take part in the My Voice, My Choice workshops will be invited to a larger final event in January 2019 that will:
• Show the results of the workshops.
• Provide the opportunity for organisations that have taken part in the workshops to say what services they can provide to make things better for local disabled people.
• Allow senior representatives from organisations and authorities to be told about the results of the My Voice, My Choice project and talk about any changes that can be made.
Workshop 1 - Wednesday, 26th September 2018
Volunteering, Education and Employment
Workshop 2 - Wednesday, 31st October 2018
Transport, Access and Safety
Workshop 3 – Thursday, 22nd November 2018
Activities, Lifestyle and Health
All 3 workshops will take place at:
The Campus, Highlands Lane, Weston-super-Mare, BS24 7DX
10 am until 2:30 pm and a light lunch will be provided.
There are 20 spaces in each workshop and each space will be allocated to the people who register first. REGISTRATION FORMS
Spaces are limited so please book your place early to avoid disappointment.
More information and registration forms are available from email@example.com 07419 736961